Monday, February 9, 2009

"I have a PhD in Horribleness!"

So I had originally planned on watching Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray, but the SO was in no mood to watch (something about being hypothyroid and stressed with nausea - I know, what's her deal?).  I had to think quick, because I thought that with Groundhog's Day occurring this past week, why not watch a movie about how it would suck to repeat that day over and over and over and... but alas, that wasn't the case.  And I had been just dying (yes, I think literally) to watch this past weekend's DVD selection.  So I chose Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.



Quite possibly the most original motion picture idea to come about because of the writer's strike, this movie follows Billy (aka Dr. Horrible, played by Neil Patrick Harris, or NPH) as tries to take over the world and at the same time, somehow build up the nerve to talk to Penny (Felicia Day), the girl he sees and obsesses over every time they're in the laundromat.  In true form, he sings about his longing to talk to her.  And in a way, the music really moves the story along, developing the characters and what they're going through in this way too short film, laid out in three parts.

Originally shown over the internet, it has certainly created a buzz.  With production in Hollywood halted with the writer's strike of 2007-08, Joss Whedon created this world that exploded fiber optics all over the planet.  Using his own money, Whedon and his creative family (Jed and Zack,  and Maurissa Tancharoen) tell of Dr. Horrible's tale to take over the world, defeat his arch-nemesis Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion), and win the heart of future Mrs. Dr. Horrible, Penny.  In a world where the musical seems to be on a ventilator, the story really revolves around the songs and music created for this.

Not a day goes by where I don't listen to the soundtrack, listening for little details that I hadn't heard or noticed before.  The SO would describe this as Hufflepuff (inside joke, but if you put everything together, you'll get it... it means I'm acting feminine, okay?).  I think the music is brilliant.  And the story moves along so fast that you don't realize the 45 minutes have passed.  In the end, we learn of the Whedon twist, something that we've come to expect from him.  And in a twist of its own, the commentary has its own musical theme, which just blows the mind (well, not literally - how else could I write this... well it's true a chicken can run around without its head but could it write?  I would need proof...)

As far as I'm concerned, no one's DVD collection is complete without it.  As the SO was surprised I had it (yes, the Amazon thing, I pulled it off with this one... but I haven't done it since... I think... no, I haven't), I think she really likes it.  Well, at least she likes it better than Groundhog Day, but that's a great movie and one that will get its own post one day (tear).  So I think I have a good chance of keeping this one, as long as I play my cards right.  It's okay, I'd hide the DVD from her just so she couldn't take it, anyhow.  How else could I hide her birthday and Christmas presents?  The girl is worse than a curious bunny, and I know.  Having a bunny is like having the most curious creature imagined.  Only it's not imagined, it's real, and it's the size of a Netherland Dwarf.

In the end, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog gets huge laughs, huge love, and an automatic "in" for my DVD collection.  Maybe this upcoming weekend, the SO will allow me to choose the movie I originally want and not have to switch at the last second (although I can never really fail with my bounty of choices).  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment