Friday, February 20, 2009

"But Coach said it's fantastic..."

Now don't get me wrong.  It's not so much backing down as I didn't want to go through with it.  I'm talking about last week's Future Purchase(s), Batman (1989) and Batman: The Complete Animated Series.  And obviously I have not actually gone through with the purchase of either.  The reason for the 1989 incarnation is because I can wait until Blu-Ray (and I didn't want to record every single scream from Kim Basinger in that movie!).

I also decided not to go through with purchasing the television series (although it's still in my Wish List on Amazon) because I couldn't allow the SO more money to buy yarn and/or shoes.  And two, even this DVD whore realizes that the economy is tough and the SO and I are essentially terrible with finances.  That's right, we started a budget.  Well, not so much started a budget as admitting how much we make does not equal the amount we have to spend on rent, electricity, food, cable, and other extraneous activities (DVDs the exception!).  
But there are better ways to spend $76.  Possibly spending a portion of that chunk of change on this week's Future Purchase.


That's right, the movie that brings blackface to the 21st century, it's Tropic Thunder.  From what I've been reading, Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of a method actor in this film is phenomenal and because he doesn't break away from character, Downey actually gets it, unlike Al Jolson and C. Thomas Howell.  Wow, that was a long run-on sentence...

So from what I know from the trailer and from my good friend, Coach, a group of actors are doing a Vietnam War movie, and because the film studio hates them, they're dropped into Vietnam!  While still filming!  Obviously, there's comedy in that plot, and with Downey Jr. plus Ben Stiller and Jack Black, it sounds like a sure hit.  On the other hand, my other good friend L-squared thought it was okay.  So that begs the question, who's opinion do I value more, Coach or L-squared?  The correct answer is...

...

The SO.  I know, because she's holding my bank account hostage currently.  I don't how many times I've picked up the DVD for Tropic Thunder, only to be told that we have to wait until we've seen it or it's a confirmed "definite buy."  It's just breaking my heart!  So what do I have to do to convince the SO to get Tropic Thunder?  Or do you think it's something to rent?  Or is it in that category of "Wait 'Til Cable"?  Let me know in the comments section.  

In the meantime, I've got to find a way to let the SO let me watch two DVDs this weekend (to make up for none last weekend).  With the 'rents coming to town tomorrow, I highly doubt it.  Oh well, a guy can dream...


Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment