Thursday, February 12, 2009

Eureka!

So it all comes down to this, the reason I buy all these DVDs.

I know, it only took me how long and so much money to figure this out.  I like buying these DVDs because in some way they either represent a certain time in my past (therefore giving me warm fuzzy feelings inside) or fill in an emotional hole (for which I'm sure most psychiatrists would say is due to my parents... but they can only tell me that if I pay the office visit bill first).

How am I sure of this?  Take the last post.  As I was scouring Amazon's site for Batman: The Compete Animated Series, I stumbled upon Batman (1989) on DVD.  I was shocked, to say the very least.  Just a couple months ago, I was hoping to find it on Amazon or somewhere for normal price.  Suffice it to say, all copies were out of stock, meaning I would have to pay too much for it from individual vendors.

That is until two days ago, when Warner Bros. decided to release more copies onto the world, or at least Amazon.  And I'm stuck in the precarious situation.  Currently the DVD rests in my "shopping cart" and I don't know what to do.  I plan on waiting until I can ask the SO to get it, and if she says yes, that's another $20 to add to her yarn/shoe spending.  If she says no, then I have to resort to hiding the purchase.  I know, that's low and I swore off that practice.

But I have this urge to buy it anyhow.  Why?  Because Batman is the first movie I remember being highly advertised on TV.  Whether watching the movie on CBS, or seeing it on the back of Jordan Knight's jacket (come on, I was 7), I just remember seeing that symbol everywhere.  And in some way, buying the DVD would fill in that gap or give me warm feelings or something like that.  And maybe now that I know why I buy them, maybe that can help me stop (or at least slow down) my DVD purchasing habits.

Although I still want to get Batman...


No comments:

Post a Comment