Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Wait, you've got to tell me - was it spongy?"


There are some moments in life you want to capture forever: the day you say I do, the birth of your child, the day your SO realizes that you need a Blu-Ray player. I really wish I had a camera to take a picture of the SO's face to show you just how she felt when we watched our first live-action DVD on the HDTV, Fever Pitch.



Now, the SO loves this movie, most because it's got the Boston Red Sox in it, and she LOVES the Red Sox. And it's a simple enough story, so I'll have plenty of space to write about her reaction. So the story: Girl and guy meet and start dating. Girl comes to find out guy is a crazy Red Sox fan. He chooses the Red Sox over her too many times and she leaves him. Guy is willing to sell his season tickets to be with the girl, and the girl stops him before he does and they are back together.

Okay, so for the real drama...

I specifically put this on just so I could show the SO just how crappy the picture is with a DVD player on a HDTV. And she was not saying a word. Somehow her face was scrunching up so much her face was about to disappear. She couldn't stand how bad the picture was. I kept telling her.


By the luck of God, a Harry Potter movie was on one of the HD channels, so I put it on. She was amazed at how crisp and sharp the picture was. I then showed her what it looked like on the DVD player. She was disgusted. And then that's when it happened...

"So does this mean we have to buy everything on Blu-Ray you just bought on DVD?"

In a blink of an eye, I told her that Blu-Ray actually upconverts the DVD to HD quality. Not 1080p quality, but very close. And I think it made her even angrier, because now my DVD fund has become, drum roll please...

...

a Blu-Ray fund!

That's right, I'm no longer going to buy DVDs, which is what the SO wanted with the use of this fund. It's true, because now I'm saving up for a Blu-Ray player! And as I can feel the hatred of the SO on the back of my neck, I have no idea what Blu-Ray player to get, as I want one that has everything I would need for Blu-ray that also can present my DVDs in the highest quality picture as well. I am NOT buying all those movies again, I can assure you (and the SO) of that.

So if you have any suggestions as to what Blu-Ray players I should be researching, please drop me a line. I'm open to any and all ideas, including your thoughts on PS3. Because I have one shot at this, and I can't blow it (i.e. the SO will kill me after telling her an HDTV will be awesome for our movies and then we have to go out and get a Blu-Ray player to achieve this goal). Thanks in advance. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment