Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"He's leaked lubricants all over my foot!"

You know how you get so excited over a cartoon from your past that you think that a big, live-action version of it would be so cool? That's how I felt with Transformers. Never went to see it in theaters. Not really sure why. But when it came out on DVD, that's when I knew I had to own it... well, two copies of it actually. Yeah, I know.

So intead of talking about the plot of the movie (which there really isn't one... at least a plot worth the time to write it), I thought I'd go with two stories that will explain why I plan on selling both copies of the film. That's right. I've finally found a film that can be deemed unwatchable by me, especially one that I was crazy over. Let's begin with story number one...

We begin around the time the DVD was coming out for the film. Target was coming out with a special edition of the DVD, i.e. the case was going to be a Transformers, literally, that went from a DVD case to a DVD case that looks like Optimus Prime. Well, when it came out, I remember going that night of the DVD release to buy it, only I didn't see it at the Target I regularly visit. So I thought that the DVD that was there might be the right version. Little did I know that after opening it up, it wasn't the right one!

The SO wasn't happy about that, because that meant I couldn't return it. And I still wanted the transforming DVD case. So of course we had to go back and get it, and safe to say, it was back at the store a couple days later. But this also meant that I spent almost 50 dollars on one movie!

Story number two begins a week or so ago. I'm at my BF's new house because I had to drop off the SO at a bachelorette party and wait for her until it was over so I could drive her home. Well, the BF and I decided to watch something on his BR and I said I hadn't seen Transformers in a long time, and I wanted to see what it would look like in BR. Soon enough I realized why this movie (series) was awful. The acting, the action, the jokes. It just wasn't up to par with the cartoon. And Shia Labeuf, don't get me started on him. Either you're a comedian or you're an action hero. You can't be both.

The next day at the apartment, I realized that I no longer cared for the movie and the only thing I could do is sell my two copies of the DVD. Obviously both cases have been opened, but I only watched it once on the DVD in the normal case. I had only taken out the tranforming case to see what it looked like. So, really, there should be some value left in these DVDs. And with the second one out in theatres, there could be some draw.


Yes, I'm flaunting these DVDs to try and get some interest, and I haven't yet figured out where to sell them online, but once I do, I really hope there's someone who actually loves the film and wants at least one of these DVDs. Probably 10 bucks for the normal and 30 bucks for the transforming case. We'll see, and I'll let you know how that goes.

A sad day when a man has to sell his DVDs...

Later...

1 comment:

  1. Calling BS on comedian or action hero. Living proof: Bruce Willis. Actually, living proof: ANY 80's action star. It was the time when comedy was not forced hamfisted into an action movie, but flowed from the situation. Except some of the Schwarzenegger stuff, but that might have been due to delivery...

    I'm unsure whether to call BS on the action, too. Transformers the cartoon was of the thought that evidently the technology of Cybertron had not advanced to the point where a "targeting system" came standard on all Transformers models. Transformers the movie was of the thought that bullets might actually HIT a Transformer at some point and Optimus Prime should probably cut someone's head off.

    That only got amped in the second film, wherein Bay ignored the part of the comment cards that said "here's what sucked" and just turned everything up a notch, good AND bad. I couldn't even give him credit for improved action with the Marijuana Momma and Dog-Humping ruining any improvement. THAT one's a big sell, makes this one a "keep in the back of the rack and don't watch that often" but a keep nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete